You may not be able to control the outside temps, but it’s never too late to work on your inside environment, 在家里和工作中.
How to 省钱 on Your Energy Bill Year-Round
T在这里 are many ways to conserve energy usage and save money. Some methods are dependent on the time of year and outside temperature. But t在这里 are plenty of techniques that work year round. Here are our best tips for hot and cold temperatures, as well as year-round tips.
- Have your furnace or heat pump serviced by a professional each year.
- Clean or replace filters in your furnace, air conditioner, and heat pump monthly.
- Set water heater temperature no higher than 120°F.
- Check if your water heater has an insulating blanket. An insulating blanket will pay for itself in one year or less!
- Seal air leaks around windows, doors, plumbing penetrations, and chimneys.
- 在未加热区域隔离加热管道. Keeping ducts in good repair can prevent heat loss of up to 60% at the registers.
- Turning off your central heat system and using space heaters does not save money!
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible in the summer. The less difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, 你的整体冷却费用就会越低 (75°F建议).
- During the months of the year when it cools off at night, turn off your cooling system and open your windows. In the morning, shut the windows to capture the cool air.
- Close window treatments against the heat of the sun.
- On hot days, avoid using the oven; cook on the stovetop, in a microwave, or on an grill outside.
- 安装高效照明，运行更凉爽. Only about 10-15% of the electricity consumed by incandescents results in light - the rest becomes heat. 学习高效照明 在这里.
- Minimize activities that generate a lot of heat, 比如运行电脑, 明火燃烧, 运行一个洗碗机, and using hot devices such as curling irons or hair dryers. Even stereos and televisions will add some heat to your home.
- Have your HVAC system serviced by a professional.
- Inspect your ductwork and repair leaks or disconnections.
- Set your thermostat to the lowest comfortable temp in the winter (68°F建议).
- 确保你的暖通空调通风口 (流入和流出) 是否干净，不被家具物品阻挡.
- Install CFL, halogen, or light-emitting diode (LED) light bulbs in the most-used fixtures. LED bulbs use less energy, last longer and give off less heat.
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120° F.
- Caulking and weather stripping windows and doors can stop the largest cause of heat loss.
- Insulate your attic and any unheated crawl spaces beneath your house.
- In 维吉尼亚州, attics should have R38-R60 level of insulation, floors R24-R30. (能源之星的级别.gov)
- One bathroom exhaust fans can drain all of the heated air from your home in about an hour!
- Wash only full loads of dishes and avoid the dishwasher’s drying cycle.
- Wash full loads of clothes in cold water whenever possible.
- 晾干你的衣服. If you use a dryer, check the vent for any blockages.
- Check refrigerator, freezer, and oven doors seals for leaks.
- Full refrigerators and freezers don't have to work as hard to stay cool. If not full of food, use jugs of water to keep your fridge full and cool.
- Your refrigerator can be set between 36 and 38 degrees (F), while your freezer can be set anywere between 0 and five degrees (F).
- Pull your fridge away from the wall and clean the coils. When clean, the refrigerator cycles on and off less, saving you money.
- Consider getting rid of that extra old refrigerator in the garage. If you aren't really using it, it can cost you a few dollars every
- Use power strips for your home electronics and turn the power strips off when the equipment
未被使用. Many home electronics use energy even when in standby mode.
- 如果你用空调的话, a ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort.
- In summer, be sure your ceiling fans blow down and create a breeze in the living space.
- 离开房间时关掉吊扇. Remember that fans cool people by creating a wind chill effect. 他们不给房间降温!
T在这里 are a lot circumstances that can affect energy usage. Take these conditions into considaration for what you can protect against or even prevent.
- 安装了新的和更大的电器 (总是选择 能源之星 合格的!)
- Lack of maintenance, such as clogged air filters in furnace
- Frost on refrigerator unit or shortage of refrigerant
试金石能源 提供了一个 家庭效率分析工具. You can sign in as a guest or with your 合作关系 account. If you don't already have an online account attached to your 合作关系 Card, 你可以在这里注册).